Friendly Families is designed to run hand in hand with parents. All parents are encouraged to volunteer, and there are many different ways to do so. Most parents are actively engaged in activities and events that help to develop the setting, and allow them to be hands on.
The nursery is led by a Board of Trustees made up of parent directors who oversee the running of the nursery.
Aysan Alba is a qualified teacher with lots of experience working within early years. She is the Ofsted nominated person for the nursery and line manages the nursery manager. She is also a classroom volunteer.
Kate Appleby has extensive experience of best practice around volunteering including the recruitment and management of volunteers. She currently works for the Alzheimers Society. She is leading on HR and recruitment.
Ouma Mauree works in IT consultancy. She has a wealth of experience in digital transformation and project management. She leads on marketing, developing parental and community engagement at the nursery, and supporting finance.
Lucie Stephens has personal experience of being part of a parent-led nursery when she lived in Canada. Her work over the last 18 years at the New Economics Foundation has been on co-production, bringing together people’s lived experience alongside professionals to get the best possible outcomes from services. She leads on finance and fundraising.
Princess Udenkolo has project management and property experience and works alongside the staff team to maintain and improve the nursery indoors and outdoors space.
All Friendly Families parents are encouraged to support the nursery in some way. Some of these roles require a regular commitment of 1-2 hours a week, others are undertaken as and when needed. As priorities change, parent volunteer roles might also evolve. How parents are involved is very much up to them and we aim to match people’s skills and experiences to roles.
- Charlotte has a lot of experience in volunteering and working in charity and is a classroom volunteer.
- Katy supports fund raising activities.
- Kieran is great at DIY and looks after building maintenance.
- Martyna is full of ideas about the arts and crafts and is a classroom volunteer.
- Mickella is a graphic designer and creates fantastic images.
- Rebecca maintains our website and supports marketing.
- Richard enjoys gardening and organises gardening with parents volunteers at the nursery.
- Rosie loves writing and does the copywriting for website and social media.
- Sophie coordinates with all parents to ensures that we have a roster of classroom volunteers to meet the adult to children ratio at the nursery.
We always welcome more volunteers, and currently need more classroom volunteers and parent directors. Please get in touch with us if you would like to become a volunteer at the nursery.